Amazing Spider-Man writer Dan Slott recently told a poster at the Comic Book Resources Spider-Man forum to go F-themselves. A poster by the name of  lejayjay had a snarky comment about Slott saying

It is jus a paycheck for Slott anyway. He’s not a real fan.

Slott then replied with this comment.

As a guy who turned down a side job this year for a paycheck that would’ve been over a third of his yearly income– BECAUSE it would’ve meant cutting back on his not-so-lucrative comic book writing career– and get in the way of working on his Spider-Man dream job…

…and the guy who slept less than 12 hours over the course of 4 days this week working on a script while he was sick… a guy who finally had to be ORDERED off it by his editor to go see a doctor… and is still in a good deal of pain today…

…this is the first time I think I’ve ever said this to somebody over a comic book message board:

Go fuck yourself.

Seriously.

Go. Fuck. Yourself.

Now I post this not to bring up the Slott/ Crawlspace disagreement again, but it opens a good point of discussion.
Should the pro’s be held to a different standard when it comes to online behavior?
Should they bite their tongues?
Are they risking future sales to an already small audience, when they tell a potential or current customer to go f-themselves?
I’d like your thoughts in the comment section or on this thread on our message board. Remember no personal attacks, keep it civil. Refresh yourselves on the rules before you post.
CBR has since deleted the post however Google was able to take a cache of it before it was deleted. Here’s the link.

669 Responses to “Slott Tells Fan To F-Themselves”

1. #1 Stephen Wacker says:

Can I just post a jpeg of him in response then? I presume that would be okay? Or is that just a George thing?

(also I’m giving out a “Wacker Warning” to Kevin and George for their double standards!!! Two more and you aren’t allowed to wear shirts for a week! This is VERY serious. People here will tell me if you’re wearing a shirt.)

SW

2. #2 Stephen Wacker says:

Brad

I admire the high threshold you have for insults aimed at me. Mine’s pretty high as well.

Truth is, as evidenced here and in other threads, you’re under a lot of pressure to make sure I don’t respond to nonsense here anymore. I think you should follow your clientele’s wishes and kick me out of here outright.

SW

3. #3 Stephen Wacker says:

@647

George since you are still harping on dan’s “f you” comment after it’s been resolved, let me say this.

Ultimately The difference between you and Dan Slott is that Dan apologized.

Neither of you are above being in error, but one of you has class and courage enough to admit it.

SW

4. #4 Donovan Grant says:

Why is George in error? And wat makes him lack courage to admit it? That’s subjective.

5. #5 George Berryman says:

Okay I’ll bite.

How exactly am I in error here, Stephen?

What’s my “double standard?”

What was wrong with the picture I linked to? Was it doctored somehow? Was it somehow untrue? If so, how?

And lastly, what precisely have I done that I need to apologize for?

Do us all a favor and, for once, be specific with your reply.

6. #6 Two-Bit Specialist says:

Now we’re beyond the solicitations for ASM.

And with the beginning of Big Time, I find out there is justice in this world. 🙂

7. #7 Stephen Wacker says:

Your double standard is simply being unable to accept people behaving in the abrasive manner you behave in. You feign insult at a pretty regular intervals. Almost the like the Ol’ Faithful of pearl clutching.

Posting jpegs as responses is just annoying and childish…which is behavior you seem to not want others to partake.

I understand you and your club don’t see this. …but I’ve never been much of a joiner.

8. #8 George Berryman says:

Okay let’s be clear Stephen. I wasn’t insulted by anything you said here. But you *were* trying to be insulting. I’ve been civil. I haven’t been tossing insults your way.

What abrasive behavior can I not accept? Dan telling a Marvel fan to “go eff himself”… hey it’s not any sweat off my back. And no one here has said the guy who got into it with Dan was in the right in the first place. But when people, including myself, point to Dan’s behavior and label it unprofessional, well… they’re correct. It was unprofessional.

I guess you didn’t like the picture since it disproved your argument that Dan Slott in no way represents Marvel? He *does* represent Marvel, Stephen, and you know it. Every time he plugs Marvel stuff on any number of news sites, any time he shows up to sign autographs… he’s the writer of Amazing Spider-Man. You honestly thought you could get away with saying he *doesn’t* represent the company? Seriously?

Keep calling us pearl clutchers, Stephen, or anything other insult or name you can think of. We aren’t the ones name calling or insulting here – no that would be the “pro” representing Marvel. And it isn’t saying much for the ground your arguments are standing on.

9. #9 herbiepopnecker says:

@ #657:

And your responses haven’t been annoying and childish?
    AS AN EDITOR OF marvel COMICS?
    Can I ask that you try acting as the professional your’re
    supposed to be?

10. #10 Stephen Wacker says:

Herbie, sorry you don’t like the way I am, but you are fictional to me. Certainly I don’t have to follow rules that you yourself won’t even stand behind.

And again George, all your other suppositions and innuendo aside, Dan made a mistake and apologized. You on the other hand have worked hard to get a bunch of people to back up your crusade for a big pile on…like any good bully does. What if you used your powers for good? Just think of what you could accomplish.

SW

11. #11 herbiepopnecker says:

Mr. Wacker:

Don’t worry about me – a real person who used to
    be a very very loyal marvel fan.

Worry about representing marvel in a professional way.

12. #12 George Berryman says:

“And again George, all your other suppositions and innuendo aside, Dan made a mistake and apologized.”

It’s like Mephisto made it never-happen. Weee!

But seriously, the next time Dan feels like telling someone to “eff himself,” do us a favor. Tell him to take a deep breath, have him count to ten, and then get him to call Tom DeFalco who can explain to him how a professional should respond to a disgruntled yet potentially paying customer. Believe me on this, Dan would’ve gotten a lot more support (even from me) if he’d said “Well hey, sorry you don’t like it and maybe down the line there’ll be something you’ll dig more” instead of “Hey go eff yourself.”

“You on the other hand have worked hard to get a bunch of people to back up your crusade for a big pile on…like any good bully does.”

I haven’t worked hard on anything surrounding this (I mostly just typed) and it’s not “my crusade.” If there wasn’t a me people would still be unhappy with the Brandnewverse. We just give them a place to talk honestly and openly about it – something they’re not allowed to do on Marvel.com’s own Spidey boards.

But who has been the bully here, Wacker? The guy throwing out insults and mocking folks?

Or the one who hasn’t been?

13. #13 Stephen Wacker says:

14. #14 George Berryman says:

“From the way you are refusing to accept an apology, this is clearly the worst thing that has ever happened to you, George. I’m sorry to hear that. in reality it’s just another guy mouthing off on a message board. Dan reacts the way you suggest all the time, but your site doesn’t do 3+ blog posts about it, so you may have missed it.”

I don’t feel like anyone needs to apologize to me for anything, Stephen, so I don’t know whose apology I’m apparently not accepting. I wasn’t the guy who got told to eff off. I’m glad he was apologized to at least but that doesn’t have anything to do with me.

“I do love the attempt to bringing DeFalco into this though. You remind me of the guy Woody Allen embarrasses in the Marshall McLuhan scene in Annie Hall. Go tell Tom he just works for money and doesn’t really care about what he writes and see how he reacts.”

Again – I haven’t seen anyone here say the poster who said that about Slott was in the right. He wasn’t. What he said was rude. Yet if someone had said that to Tom D. I doubt that, as mad as he might honestly have been, he wouldn’t have said “Hey go eff yourself.” Because he acts like a pro. Doesn’t even have to be Tom D., either. I could’ve thrown out more names there but he actually faced something similar to this recently and came out looking *a lot* better than Dan did because of the way he addressed it.

“Remember just because a pitchfork carrying mob has a lot of members…doesn’t make them right.”

Didn’t a mob go after Freddy Krueger, too… ? I’m not trying to make the same backhanded analogy that you are – just pointing out that sometimes a mob can apparently be right.

“Again, Dan has shown a class and dignity in apologizing for what he did that you seem unable to meet…at least here– where you have to maintain appearances as the local “tough guy”. I’m sure you’re swell in the real world.”

Pardon me if I don’t take a shot at my “class and dignity” from a guy who has thrown out ‘pearl clutchers’ here like a broken record and who’s tossed around insults like a poo-flinging spider-monkey.

15. #15 Stephen Wacker says:

Oh, okay. You win.

16. #16 herbiepopnecker says:

And finally, nobody is posting at this topic….

Oh, wait…..oh, dang it!!!!!

17. #17 Theory says:

Damn Wacker you just got schooled

18. #18 Two-Bit Specialist says:

Finally, someone broke that “666 comments.” That was just unseemly.

19. #19 Ebony Leopard says:

I’ve had interactions with Slott and Wacker online where this very thing about being professional was brought up to them on CBR. Frankly, their behavior on those forums and how they reply to people on the forums has turned me off from Spider-Man more than the writing and story direction has. At one point I was told because I was using a screen name how valid could my opinion be since I was just some unknown guy online making comments. SO, in the following post, I revealed my real name to them and asked him if my opinion was now valid since I was using my real name when giving them.

In general, the guys are just unprofessional when interacting with fans who don’t agree with them and probably would do better to avoid fan-based web forums all together if they’re going to have their feelings hurt so easily.