According to Comic Book Resources, Marvel Comics is laying off at least 15 workers in the editorial and production departments. The consensus so far is that the move is a cost-cutting measure, based in no part on anyone’s performance.

23 Responses to “Marvel to lay off up to 15 workers for cost cutting measures, includes Spider-Man Editorial Assistant”

1. #1 Parabolee says:

And yet Steve Wacker still has a job? Oops did I say that out loud?

Seriously though, this sucks for those guys. Sorry to hear it and hope they are able to find employment elsewhere ASAP in this economy.

2. #2 Kassady86 says:

Who put Elektra on that poster? UGH I CAN’T STAND HER!!!!

3. #3 Two-Bit Specialist says:

Regardless of anyone’s overall thoughts on Marvel as a company, this is still a sad day for a lot of people, and sometimes I wouldn’t wish on anyone. I hope these guys are back on their feet soon.

4. #4 SpectacularSpiderGuy says:

But remember, everything is going well! :roll:

My condolences to those that lost their jobs. It’s always sad when someone loses their livelihood.

5. #5 tnr105 says:

I don’t want to seem biased, but there’s several vocal Marvel employees they could lay off rather than getting rid of the fresh blood.

6. #6 Enigma_2099 says:

Ooooh, you’re gonna catch hell for bringing this to everyone’s attention, I’m sure!

Though this has gotta be more negative than anything they’ve blamed us for, BD.

7. #7 Cap Cheesesteak says:

Is 15 people a lot for Marvel to lay off? It doesn’t seem it.
    Still, better to have Marvel Comics on your resume than not to, I’d imagine.

8. #8 Two-Bit Specialist says:

This is probably as good a time as any to ask what I always wanted to ask… what does a comic book editor actually do?

9. #9 Daniel says:

Guess it’s too much to hope that Quesada will get canned, right?

10. #10 Lockdown says:

It’s a tough situation and I wish them the best. Been on this side of the ball before. One day you are needed and love and the next, you are shown the door.

11. #11 Enigma_2099 says:

@#7

At this current time with the economy the way it is, many or not, it sucks to lose your job.

12. #12 Cap Cheesesteak says:

^ I agree. It definitely stinks. I just got my lay-off this week too (not from Marvel). But it does happen, and with many companies it happens more frequently- I’m just saying that I don’t think 15 is enough to make a news article about it. I hear of a lotta bigger lay-offs coming from other companies all the time. Heck- my work has been known to lay off more people than that at a time (albeit construction can be sorta seasonal)

13. #13 Enigma_2099 says:

I asked this on another board, and I’ll ask it here… how many jobs could be saved if they just dropped Brian Michael Bendis?

14. #14 CrazyChris says:

Without the money brought in by their most popular writer, they’d probably have to fire even more people.

15. #15 Stephen Awesome says:

The always classy Crawlspace posters.

No one from the Spidey office was let go, by the way. Though two people I used to work with were.

Sad week. Sorry to those who wanted it to be sadder because of some comics you don’t like. Nice sentiment.

SW

16. #16 Proto Goblin says:

@15

For some reason I doubt your the real Steve Wacker.

17. #17 Enigma_2099 says:

Real or not, just don’t get him started…

… and is he seriously calling us out for having a problem with people losing their jobs? Does he want us to be happy about it or something?

18. #18 Enigma_2099 says:

Waitaminute… Disney buys you out… and you still have to do this?

19. #19 Donovan Grant says:

The CBR report said that Rachel Pinnelas, who is/was an Ass. Editor for the Spidey books was laid off as well. Is that incorrect?

20. #20 Enigma_2099 says:

You really should have added a “t” to that abbreviation, Don.

21. #21 Donovan Grant says:

LOL right, didn’t mean to diss her.

22. #22 spiderman252 says:

My best wishes to those laid off – may you fine work soon!

23. #23 FSUSpiderfan says:

It’s sad to see people laid off. It doesn’t bode well for the health of the comic industry.