Yikes! With that look in her eyes we know that Ms. Brant can’t be up to any good!
I’ve gone on record a few times saying that Betty’s worst moment is either “Amazing Spider-Man” issue 184 or issue 280. I covered 280 earlier this year. Now it’s time to see just what is so bad about Betty’s action in “Amazing Spider-Man” issue 184.
Our story begins in “Amazing Spider-Man” issue 182 where a mysterious figure (who are we kidding it’s Betty) approaches Peter’s landlady Mrs. Muggins.
Betty is later given a key to Peter’s apartment. It’s safe to assume she doesn’t have one at this point due to the request she makes to Mrs. Mugggns.
Mrs. Muggins is not going to just let Betty into Peter’s apartment right? Any landlord who would do that would surely have to be out of their mind!
The “mystery continues” in “Amazing Spider-Man” issue 183.
Yup, Mrs. Muggins may be the worst landlady in New York…and New York has LOTS of bad landladies.
Peter is in a bit of a funk because Mary Jane just returned his engagement ring and told Peter that they were through.
The stage is set. Now it’s time to finally learn what Betty’s master plan is in “Amazing Spider-Man” issue 184.
Where to even begin?
* At the end of the last issue Peter says “I never expected you of all people”. There are a few reasons why Peter is saying this. One is because when he last saw Betty, she and Ned Leeds were heading off to their “working honeymoon” in Paris. Another is because SHE DOES NOT HAVE A KEY TO HIS PLACE. Peter doesn’t expect her to be there PERIOD. Either Mrs. Muggins let her in…or worse…Betty waited until she left and then broke in.
* Not only has she let herself into Peter’s apartment, but she’s made herself right at home. Do you think she carries that coffee mug with her wherever she goes? It’s probably Peter’s. I’m sure the coffee was his as well. I hope he wasn’t running low because he doesn’t have alot of money. That would make this worse.
To sum it up, she wanted to talk to Peter. She didn’t call him. She didn’t go to ESU or the Bugle. She went to his apartment. She let herself into his house. She took his mug and made herself coffee with the contents of his kitchen. She then made herself at home until he arrived. We all have friends where this type of behavior may be acceptable, but Peter hasn’t given Betty a key yet (he will in a few months) and he doesn’t even know she’s in the country!
If a friend told you about his ex doing this you’d think it was nuts.
I couldn’t make this up if I tried. It gets worse though.
Don’t let Betty’s “Mary Jane” comment fool you. She’s fishing for Peter’s current relationship status. That will become more apparent by the end of the scene.
Here she reminds Peter of their past relationship. For the readers it is exposition if they aren’t familiar with Betty (who hasn’t been in the title since issue 156), for Betty…it’s a reminder to Peter to set up what she is about to spring on him.
I need to be fair here. I’ve constantly used “Betty left Ned on their honeymoon” as a talking point. It’s not inaccurate, but it’s unfair in what it implies. They were on a working honeymoon where Ned had to go on assignments, not some three day weekend at Niagara Falls.
The fact still remains though, BETTY LEFT NED ON THEIR HONEYMOON! Not only that, but SHE DIDN’T EVEN TELL HIM! He’s covering this uprising trying to earn money for his new wife little realizing she isn’t even in the same continent, but actually in the home of her ex.
“You’re my only good friend”. It’s funny that she says that over an image of Mary Jane. MJ and Betty were good friends in Conway’s run. Heck, Mary Jane was maid of honor at the Brant/Leeds wedding…a wedding where Peter served as the best man (in case you needed another reason why this is inappropriate).
Don’t let Betty fool you. She had “restarting things” with Peter in her mind from the start. Why else would she have broken into his apartment and fished about Mary Jane?
So let’s review the crimes of Betty again..
* Betty leaves Ned on their honeymoon.
* Betty does this without telling Ned.
* Betty leaves the country to see her ex. The same ex that happens to her husband’s best man at their wedding and is currently dating her maid of honor.
* Betty enters the apartment of said ex without his knowledge or permission. While in the apartment she drinks his coffee from his mug and makes herself at home.
* She holds no regard for her maid of honor Mary Jane as she immediately asks Peter if they are still together then asks to get back together with him.
* Betty is not up front about any of this. Instead of saying what’s on her mind she has to make comments like “How is Mary Jane treating you” “Remember we use to date” “SAY! I HAVE AN IDEA THAT I TOTALLY JUST CAME UP, let’s date again”. If you are going to betray your husband and best female friend, at least be honest about it.
Conclusion: Betty Brant is a horrible person.