You bet your sweet bippy!
I should probably (re)introduce myself. Way back in the old days of 2010-2011, I used to write reviews of The Amazing Spider-Man for the site. It was a heck of a job back then, since the book was coming out three or more times a month, but I churned out those reviews as best I could. In October of 2010, after beating Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, I emailed BD and asked him for permission to review the relatively brand-new game (which had only been out for a month or so) for the site. While giving me the green light, he left it open for me to review other Spider-Man games. I wrote and published the review soon after.
Not long afterwards, I was doing some much-needed organizing of my game collection … well, heck, I wrote an entire article about that. Go ahead and read it for the full story. The short version is that I was struck with a fit of inspiration to go back and review the Spider-Man games I grew up playing. The first article, covering the superb Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin, was written soon afterwards. After a hiatus brought on by many unpleasant occurrences, I wrote an article covering the awful Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade’s Revenge. With my usual lack of subtlety, I teased that Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage would be next and immediately got to work on it.
It never happened … but that’s about to change.
Thanks to a series of fortunate events, I’m back writing about video games for the site. It will be a little different this time around, so I want to key you folks in on what I have planned …
- A review of Lego Marvel Superheroes. I’m going to begin with a review of the recent (kind of) Spider-Man game (kind of) that will cover the PlayStation 4 version. Thanks to the PS4’s sharing features, this one will have unique video and screenshots and experiment with a new review format. Keep your eyes peeled!
- A review of The Amazing Spider-Man. At some point, I’ll be returning to 2012 to review this tie-in game to the
really terriblefilm of the same name on the PlayStation 3. I probably won’t get to this for a while, but look out for it in the lead-up to the next film and game.
- An article about Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage. I promised this would be the next game in the lookback series, and it will be!
- An article about Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety. This was the fourth game in the vintage series that I was going to cover, as indicated in the introduction article.
- A series of articles on some other vintage Spider-Man games. I won’t spoil which ones, but the header image is a hint about the first one of these!
Being a mercurial fellow, I can’t commit to a fixed schedule — after all, I need to actually have time to PLAY all these games — but I hope you’ll check back in with me as I cover the good, the bad, and the downright awful gaming history of the comics icon that was all know and love (HA! I somehow connected this to Valentine’s Day!).
If you have a preference for what games I should cover, by all means, sound off in the comments! Your feedback WILL impact this project!