Have you ever dropped Spider-Man and Why?

Discuss anything about Spider-Man. Comics, toys, movies etc.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Cliff Jumper
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Re: Have you ever dropped Spider-Man and Why?

Post by Cliff Jumper » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:46 pm

I've dropped Spider-Man twice. The first was in the 90s once Ben Reilly was revealed as the real Spider-Man. I liked Ben Reilly and still do, but it just teed me off that the Spidey I grew up with was a clone.

I dropped it the last time at One More Day. At that point Spider-Man ceased being Spider-Man. I have yet to pick it up again.

As a Spidey fan since I was 3 and now dropping the title permanently it sucks.
True heroism...It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

PunyParker
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by PunyParker » Wed May 11, 2016 7:51 am

First time i ever dropped it (since i started reading) is now, on this run.
I can't stand Slott's writing anymore, i've had enough.....plus this territory Parker is right now, is compeletely not him.

herbiepopnecker
Avenger
Avenger

Post by herbiepopnecker » Wed May 11, 2016 9:42 am

Cliff Jumper wrote:I've dropped Spider-Man twice. The first was in the 90s once Ben Reilly was revealed as the real Spider-Man. I liked Ben Reilly and still do, but it just teed me off that the Spidey I grew up with was a clone.

I dropped it the last time at One More Day. At that point Spider-Man ceased being Spider-Man. I have yet to pick it up again.

As a Spidey fan since I was 3 and now dropping the title permanently it sucks.
I figured at the time, Ben wasn't really the real thing 8)
OMD/Bland New Day was IT for me, though :cry:
Proudly #2 on Anti-QMD list.
#1 on the list is Peter Parker. No duh!

"If you make a deal with Mephisto to trade
your marriage to a supermodel for the life
of your elderly, sickly aunt, you might be
. . . no, you DEFINTELY are a MORON."

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:51 pm

I stopped reading and collecting Spiderman after OMD and I haven't gone back.
The only way I would return is if they bring Peter and MJ back together again as a couple {either married or just in a relationship}.

Paddy E
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Paddy E » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:46 am

I dropped the book for the first time during Power Play. I've been thinking about dropping the book for a while and really Power Play sealed the deal for me because of how awful it was. I won't be returning to the book until there are sizeable changes made at the Spider-Man offices.

Randallandezz
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Have you ever dropped Spider Man and Why

Post by Randallandezz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:08 am

An American film that I like is Somewhere in Time, in which a playwright hypnotizes himself to go back in time to find an actress from a bygone era. Have you ever dreamt about that premise, and if so, whom would you like to go back in time to meet - or have him or her go forward in time to meet you?

Symbiobro
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Symbiobro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:05 am

Yes. Started buying during back in black, and I bought all the way to #700, but did not pick up Superior. Didn't want to read about Ock being a hero. And the entire story was dependent on every other character being completely stupid.
Picked it up again as soon as that ended, but I saw that the quality had not improved, so I stopped as soon as Spider-verse ended because I loved the idea of the event, and haven't picked it up since.

Andrew
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 am

I did pretty much quit around late 2000/early 2001, after PP:SM #2.25. I had mixed feelings about Mary Jane returning (but I missed her return issue and that seemed too big an issue to miss), I was feeling more negative about Romita Jr.'s awtwork, Spider-Girl was becoming more about the supporting heroes, USM was fine but a bit overrated and with JMS I heard it was good but arc-y. I read and liked a few of the major issues each year, then with OMD quit completely aside from a few later issues (the Obama issue, the return of Commanda, TASM #700).

Venomous Mask
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Venomous Mask » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:54 pm

I dropped it around the time of the first Totem storyline, as I just wasn't interested, and same soon after Gargan became Venom. I haven't read Spidey comics outside of Venom for several years mostly because of money issues.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 am

After OMD...dropped it.

Came back because I heard "good things" on Slott's run. Big Time is when I came back

After reading that all the way to Parker Industries arc...I decided to drop it again. The character has gotten sloppy and not the Spider-Man I know and love. Have every issue of ASM:RYV and still collect it. A spidey book worth my money.

I read/liked all of the Ultimate Spider-Man (Peter Parker).

pablowoods
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by pablowoods » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Have dropped it at the moment. Really hate Slott's style of writing, it's juvenile and the characterization is terrible. His plots are just lifted from other sources and he then shoe horns the characters into them changing their personalities just so they fit into the storyline.
Treatment of MAry Jane is just a troll to the fanbase and Superior Spider Man was a clusterfuck and ocks motivations didn't make sense...Hated the cartoonesque slapstick dummed down plots, its poor writing. Will be back when he's left. Weird guy

John Ossie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by John Ossie » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Yes. I dropped ASM after issue 28 of the current run, haven't read it since and don't intend to until Slott is off the book.