Favorite Obscure Spidey story ?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: BD, MadGoblin

Favorite Obscure Spidey story ?

Postby raddude » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:39 pm

So writing about the Golden Age Post below made me think, what's your favorite obscure Spiderman story/issue. I'm not talking about something everyone seems to love like the Sin Eater saga or the Mark Millar 12 part arc, I mean an issue that you love that you never see in the usual list of classic Spidey Stories.

The one that made me think of this was mentioning the Firelord story, which I really think is a great story that is never mentioned. I guess because its kind of similar to the Juggernaut story a few years earlier as they both are about Spidey being completely outmatched but fighting on anyway. However since I hadn't read the Juggernaut story until last year (in that Wizard top 10 trade), to me that Firelord story was one of the more memorable ones of my childhood.

However I think my favorite story that never gets mentioned is Spidey vs Venom on the island (around issue 345 I think). I think this is the best of the Spidey-Venom stories and it really felt like the climax to all the other Venom stories that preceded it - - as after months of stalking him (inbetween prison stays), Venom finally gets Spidey in a place where he can't run away or get help from the FF anymore. Plus Venom debuts all sorts of cool new tricks in this story. (the water camouflauge scene is a real favorite of mine as it feels like something out of a movie). Again the age you read these is everything but this to me at that time was one of the most intense Spidey stories I ever read. And even Spidey realizes he can't outfight Venom so he outsmarts him and ends the immediate threat to his family once and for all. (Plus the covers for those two issues are pretty tremendous - - as JR notes Venom is probably the most visually interesting of all of Spidey's villains).

There's also an early issue of Spiderman Unlimited with him and the Torch that I love. I always like a good Spidey-Torch teamup, and the whole "Webs Away" thing (Spidey looking for battle cry of his own in answer to Torch's "Flame On") amused the heck out of me in that one.

If I was to pick a recent story, I would say I absolutely loved the Spidey-Felicia story in Many Loves Of Spiderman this year as it was very funny, light-hearted (in a way modern marvel is sorely lacking) and charming.
raddude
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Re: Favorite Obscure Spidey story ?

Postby Big Al » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Spider-Man Unlimited #11 Story 2: Night Work

Spider-Man and a petty criminal called Joey say goodbye to thier wives (and in Joey's case baby) as they head off to their night jobs. Joey is a member of a gang which is moving illegal merchandise. Spider-Man shows up and captures him whilst he pleads for him to let him go because he has a family. Spidey says he should have thought about them before he went out to commit crime. As Spidey swings away and Joey is distraught, his wife comforts thier child, pretending everything is fine and joey will be back soon. We see Joey's wife begin to cry knowing something terrible has happened whilst Peter returns to Mary Jane and says nothing really happened tonight, completely unaware he's destroyed this family basically.
Delta House Member Gimli

[img]http://oi49.tinypic.com/ei75ms.jpg[/img]

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man
Big Al
Avenger
Avenger

Postby sdiddy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Spider-Man Marrow 1 Shot,

There is no reason for me to like this as much as I do. I don’t like the character of Marrow, dislike one-shots and complain about throw away issues ...
But I love this story. Pete on the heels of losing MJ is feeling and getting pressure to move on and attempts to have his first date. Spidey mixes it up the the mutant Marrow and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
sdiddy
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Big Al » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:08 am

sdiddy wrote:Spider-Man Marrow 1 Shot,

There is no reason for me to like this as much as I do. I don’t like the character of Marrow, dislike one-shots and complain about throw away issues ...
But I love this story. Pete on the heels of losing MJ is feeling and getting pressure to move on and attempts to have his first date. Spidey mixes it up the the mutant Marrow and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Love your avatar. I despise that era of Spider-Man but that one shot isn't the worst thing in that era by a long shot, even though I too dislike Marrow and have no desire to see Spidey go on dates.
Delta House Member Gimli

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

Big Al
Avenger
Avenger

Postby sdiddy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks man ...
When Bertone mentioned that he liked Luke Ross a couple of podcasts ago, i thought of that immediately and always loved the cover.
So when you say no interest in Spidey and dates .... do you mean no interest in romance? Just want more web-slinging for Pete and action?
Or you rather see him with someone in particular?
sdiddy
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Big Al » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:40 am

sdiddy wrote:Thanks man ...
When Bertone mentioned that he liked Luke Ross a couple of podcasts ago, i thought of that immediately and always loved the cover.
So when you say no interest in Spidey and dates .... do you mean no interest in romance? Just want more web-slinging for Pete and action?
Or you rather see him with someone in particular?

Well what I mean is...I'm a guy who sees Spider-Man as one big continuous story that should progress. So it isn't so much I dislike romance in Spider-Man in principle at all it's just that we've done that, he's been on plenty of dates with Betty, Felicia, Gwen, MJ, Deb etc. But as the character and story progressed that got old and kind of repetitive. If you this makes any sense at all it's like if he was a real person he's gone through the period of his life where he was dating around already and we either have read that already or can re-read that whenever we want.

I do of course favour the web-swinging action over the romance though and see it as more important than the romance since, hey, this is a superhero comic.

As for seeing him with someone particular I'd rather just see him with MJ
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Venom65437 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Spider-Man Unlimited #13. It is a self contained story, which was pretty rare in the 90s and it is LAUGH OUT LOUD funny. At least to me. It also showed the Scorpion as a pretty formidable opponent, which I like as he was always one of my favorites and he really has been watered down over the years. Highly recommended for some pleasure reading that'll make you laugh!

Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Big Al » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:01 am

Venom65437 wrote:Spider-Man Unlimited #13. It is a self contained story, which was pretty rare in the 90s and it is LAUGH OUT LOUD funny. At least to me. It also showed the Scorpion as a pretty formidable opponent, which I like as he was always one of my favorites and he really has been watered down over the years. Highly recommended for some pleasure reading that'll make you laugh!

I. hate that story. As a kid I loved it and read it in Saturday school and it is responsible for introducing me to Luke Cage and Iron Fist so points there. But I found the art poor, the story cliche, the guest characters pretty pointless, the 'psychology' nonsensical and frankly being extra length it was a complete chore to read.

I will agree though that it made Gargan as Scorpion (not Venom) a good threat and formidable.

Don't mean to say you shouldn't like it bro. Just how I personally felt. If you liked it more power to ya.

I actually really, really like Spider-Man Unlimited Volume 3 #2 Story 2: "Making contributions". It's a story about MJ thinking about how her life compares to Peter. She's treated as royalty whilst he gets the third degree. She wonders what she actually does and Peter basically tells her that she drives him to succeed and make the world a better place
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Wombat 909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:07 am

Amazing Spider-Man 153

I don't want to give too much away but it's a short, standalone tale which is very touching and very well put together. I know JR has talked about the issue before. The ending of this has a great Spider-Man moment in it.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Wombat 909
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Constantine » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 am

Spectacular Spider-Man #118

For a couple of issues, Peter David had slowly been building up a plot wherein an abused kid named Alex Woolcot gained super powers, accidentally killed his father with them, and became hunted by SHIELD. Spec #118 was the conclusion to that story and it was fantastic. Everything from the very restrained way PAD created parallels between Alex and Peter to the extremely dark ending was nearly perfect.
Constantine
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Big Al » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am

Spectacular Spider-Man #123-PAD does an issue where Jonah, MJ and Peter share their different POVs of a robbery and it's hilarious because Jonah and Mj are being liberal with the truth
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Tierouy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 am

I don't think that I have ever seen it on another readers top list but one of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time is Spectacular Spider-Man #186-188 - Funeral Arrangements

J.M. DeMatteis is probably the man I would name as my favorite Spider-Man writer of all time and this is in my opinion a severely overlooked gem. The Vulture is one I like the very least when it comes to the truly classic Spider-Man villains but this story actually made me care for him as a character which I consider a remarkable achievement at it's own.

What I really love is how he handled Aunt May, I don't that it's Vultures or even Peter's story, the story does in my mind belong to Aunt May. Most Spider-Man writers can handle Peter well enough but Aunt May is completely different case. The only writers who I ever felt could truly write Aunt May were DeMatteis and Straczynski.
Tierouy
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Big Al » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Tierouy wrote:I don't think that I have ever seen it on another readers top list but one of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time is Spectacular Spider-Man #186-188 - Funeral Arrangements

J.M. DeMatteis is probably the man I would name as my favorite Spider-Man writer of all time and this is in my opinion a severely overlooked gem. The Vulture is one I like the very least when it comes to the truly classic Spider-Man villains but this story actually made me care for him as a character which I consider a remarkable achievement at it's own.

What I really love is how he handled Aunt May, I don't that it's Vultures or even Peter's story, the story does in my mind belong to Aunt May. Most Spider-Man writers can handle Peter well enough but Aunt May is completely different case. The only writers who I ever felt could truly write Aunt May were DeMatteis and Straczynski.

My God man. I feel exactly the same way. On like each and everyone of yur points. this is THE best vulture story of all time. nothing has ever topped it. and yes JMD and JMS are the best Aunt May writers. It's hard for saying that considering that I kind of feel really divided about having May die under JMD or having her live but know his identity under JMS
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Venom65437 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:58 pm

I'm really late responding but I never thought SMU was a great story or anything, but I just found it really funny. Generally, I am really easy to please.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Big Al » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:16 am

Venom65437 wrote:I'm really late responding but I never thought SMU was a great story or anything, but I just found it really funny. Generally, I am really easy to please.

What's SMU?
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Avenger
Avenger