Friendly Fire Fight Club #222 - 'KILL SWITCH!'

Home of the Crawl Space Tournaments, Marvel Fight Club and other Fight Club action! Who wins - The Tick or Magnus, Robot Fighter? It's all here!

Moderators: George Berryman, AmFan15, BD

'KILL SWITCH!' - Who Wins?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Leslie Vernon (Mr. Eo)
17%
Dr. Decker (Thrawn)
83%

Total votes : 12

Re: Friendly Fire Fight Club #222 - 'KILL SWITCH!'

Postby Thrawn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 pm

FSUSpiderFan wrote:Now I read the wikis and both of these guys returned from the dead to become supernatural beings at the end of the movies. How does that factor in here?

In my opinion it doesn't matter here. Decker came back to life at the end of Nightbreed due to the Nightbreed's "magic" or whatever you want to call it. There's no reference for what his powers or abilities would have been after that. Leslie Vernon didn't actually appear to come back to life from what I saw. He just pretended to die buy coating his body in fire retardant gel.

However, Leslie's preparations included learning to feign death and slathering himself with flame-retardant gel. Over the final credits, security camera footage reveals Leslie's charred body sitting up on an autopsy table, still alive.
"now face off in the most brutal of combats...fighting vicariously through fictional characters. Tremble, mortals." - Shang Chi
ImageImage
Thrawn
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby FSUSpiderFan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Thrawn wrote:
FSUSpiderFan wrote:Now I read the wikis and both of these guys returned from the dead to become supernatural beings at the end of the movies. How does that factor in here?

In my opinion it doesn't matter here. Decker came back to life at the end of Nightbreed due to the Nightbreed's "magic" or whatever you want to call it. There's no reference for what his powers or abilities would have been after that. Leslie Vernon didn't actually appear to come back to life from what I saw. He just pretended to die buy coating his body in fire retardant gel.

However, Leslie's preparations included learning to feign death and slathering himself with flame-retardant gel. Over the final credits, security camera footage reveals Leslie's charred body sitting up on an autopsy table, still alive.

Which means Leslie was never actually defeated. He just arranged it so people would think he had died. Pretty smart...
FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Thrawn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:32 pm

FSUSpiderFan wrote:Which means Leslie was never actually defeated.

As I understand it, yes.

He just arranged it so people would think he had died. Pretty smart...

Yes...and no. That's what actually works against him here in my opinion.

Looking at the psychology of the character it potentially be a weakness that can be exploited here. He fakes his death to give himself some mystique. He didn't do it to get away. He fully plans on continuing to kill. That goes back to the point I made earlier:

One last thing, because of Leslie Vernon's pyschology, he has to make himself operate within the conventions of the slasher/serial killer genre. Coventions like the virginal girl is his last target, he has to walk after his victims, etc.

Nightbreed wasn't a slasher film, and as such Doctor Decker operates outside of the rules that Vernon is used to seeing Jason and Freddy operate under in his world.

Decker won't attempt a staredown, or some sort of cinematic killer showdown that Leslie will be looking for. He'll just disembowel the misguided youth without any preamble.

In Vernon's world slashers and victims follow certain patterns. That's what he's used to. Nightbreed is not a slasher movie. It's a metaphor for societal outcasts like X-Men. Doctor Decker does not operate under the rules that Leslie Vernon is used to. I'm quite certain that will throw Vernon off.

I think my point about Decker exploiting Vernon's psychology still stands. The example of Vernon faking his death to enhance his mystique supports that.

And again, Vernon's one murderous rampage was in an environment where he had total control and had planned for every eventuality. Vernon does not have that here. On the other hand, Doctor Decker has "real" experience against victims in all environments and situations.
"now face off in the most brutal of combats...fighting vicariously through fictional characters. Tremble, mortals." - Shang Chi
ImageImage
Thrawn
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby FSUSpiderFan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:38 pm

You've got me again Thrawn. I'm voting for the psychopathic psychologist over the delusional farm boy.
FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Thrawn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:40 pm

FSUSpiderFan wrote:You've got me again Thrawn. I'm voting for the psychopathic psychologist over the delusional farm boy.

Thank you. You guys should really check out Nightbreed. It's a unique horror film that's under appreciated. Go buy the dvd. It needs all the support it can get.

It came out at a time when all Hollywood thought all horror films had to be slashers. As a result they didn't know how to market it and they didn't support it. And to be clear, I love my slasher films, but I also love other types of horror films.

1:58 to 4:57 sums up the main theme of the movie.

Last edited by Thrawn on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Thrawn
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Spider-Dad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:44 pm

I don't know either of these characters, but Thrawn has pieced together an EXCELLENT position. Waiting for Mr. Eo to counter with some info to gauge the situation...
Spider-Dad
Delta House Member - "Snapper"
Spider-Dad
Avenger
Avenger

Postby butters911 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 am

Thrawn has laid on some great arguments.

You have won my vote good sir
Zeta House Member Hunter T

Roger Stern speaks:
"I've been reading and enjoying AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ever since the beginning of the Brand New Day storyline. It's great to see Spider-Man really acting like Spider-Man again."

Butters911 speaks:
"ASM is the best it's been in years!"

Marvel....it's official:
I now have ELEVEN of your titles on my pull list.
butters911
Avenger
Avenger

Postby AmFan15 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:52 am

It's a bit late in the game, but out of curiosity, does Mr Eo understand that he has to post at least once to avoid forfeiting?

He's new here, so I want to make sure he understands the rules, before throwing away any chance he might have...
"Whether Aunt May dies or not isn't the question. If she dies, does it mean anything beyond a brief sales spike because collectors/speculators think they'll be able to make a profit selling the book later? That is the question. Back when, Stan and company won our hearts and minds. I cared about Spider-Man and the other Marvel characters as though they were friends. I cared every time Aunt May got sick. That's what good creative work does."

--Jim Shooter--

AmFan15

Postby FSUSpiderFan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 am

AmFan15 wrote:It's a bit late in the game, but out of curiosity, does Mr Eo understand that he has to post at least once to avoid forfeiting?

He's new here, so I want to make sure he understands the rules, before throwing away any chance he might have...

Good question. Maybe someone should PM him.
FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Thrawn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 pm

FSUSpiderFan wrote:Good question. Maybe someone should PM him.

I did PM him before the match started explaining that he had to post an argument or he forfeited. Here's what I sent:

You will have to post at least one argument roughly a paragraph (3 or 4 sentences) or you forfeit.

[smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
ImageImage
Thrawn
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby George Berryman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:25 pm

"Thrawn proves why he is Thrawn, managing to come out ahead in a fight where almost no one even knew who the Hell the combatants were. Welcome, my friends. It's open mic night at the House of Shang Chi."

"Dr. Decker lays an unholy smackdown on Leslie 'Mockumentary' Vernon. Back to back non-Hall of Fame matches! Quick! Someone alert the media--!"

"Thrawn slips into second place, looking for an opportunity to backstab CrazyChris, who is still at the top in 1st. Mr. Eo - who didn't show up for the fight - debuts at 0-1."

"For the Commissioner and everyone else at Friendly Fire Fight Club, this is Shang Chi saying "No more runnin'! I aim to misbehave!"

--George Berryman (Delta House Member 'Bear' - Join Us Now!),
"Old School"

George Berryman
Administrator
Administrator