What's in Store for Spider-Man in Fall /Winter 2017/2018?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Re: What's in Store for Spider-Man in Fall /Winter 2017/2018?

Post by Animehunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am

https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/9 ... 3035444224
Now that I'm getting involved in our Publishing world again (man I missed it) it makes it easier for me to come on here and talk some s#!t.

Andrew C
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Andrew C » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am

Animehunter wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am
Now that I'm getting involved in our Publishing world again (man I missed it) it makes it easier for me to come on here and talk some s#!t.
If only these hacks could produce comics as well as they talk shit on social media. The professionals in this industry have turned into angry trolls who are hostile towards their fan base, because they don’t know how to listen to criticism.

Thrawn
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Thrawn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 am

Animehunter wrote:
These people are mentally ill. That is not publicly acceptable behavior; let alone when you represent a company that is already has a very hateful relationship with its fans. Not to mention the horrible financial state of the publishing division.

Of course I expect nothing less coming from a man who thought OMD was good for the company.
"now face off in the most brutal of combats...fighting vicariously through fictional characters. Tremble, mortals." - Shang Chi
ImageImage

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 am

Chase the Blues Away wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:51 pm
ChiTownSpidey wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:10 am
MRstarkiller360 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 am
Let's get ready for the very F***ing worse that Dan Slott has to offer to the franchise, because oh boy things are not looking good!
Slott? He's just the beginning of this future mess. He knows he's leaving, he knows that and he's going to go out with a bang which will either be positive or negative. I pretty sure we all know that he basically wants to tick us off and laugh doing that.

After 800 Slott's gone. Doing his own thing/book on some kind of inspiration he got from watching Dr. Who. :roll:

What I'm afraid of is THIS!

Heeee's baaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Quesada Wants to Shift His Focus Back Toward Marvel’s Comics

[smilie=spidey_yeah_that.gif]

Let's break this down. Joey Q was EIC, then he destroyed Spider-Man with OMD, then he left his minions in charge. He moved onto bigger and better things when Disney bought Marvel and as "Chief creative officer" (such a fake business title name) and part of that Marvel's 'creative committee' that looked into all MCU projects.

This is described as making it with the big leagues. Movies, money, popularity...all the things make what Sean Parker (played by JT) was in the movie Social Media.

That is until Kevin Feige and Bob Iger became close personal friends and decided to tell that "creative committee" they are NO LONGER apart of ANY planning process with the MCU. They can work on the TV projects, sure...no one really cares..but the MCU...there's a WALL up there and no room for the committee. That's Feige's and Iger's honeypot now. Why do you think Bendis left? Think about it. Feige had problems with that committee, sticking their thoughts and egos in where it wasn't need. Even James Gunn said "group of comic-book writers and toy people" once told him he had to remove the '70s licensed soundtrack from the film."

So Joe knows he can't kiss butt any higher, so he hears about CB becoming EIC. CB isn't one of his minions, correct? So he wants to get his dirty hands back into comics and make sure what he worked very hard to make, stay. He doesn't want change and is probably trying to find a way to influence CB.

He told Newsarama the change in focus began last month, with him telling Marvel “I want to shift some more of my focus so I can do a little bit more in publishing, as I want to be there to help C.B. land with both feet running and be there for him in any way he needs me to be.

“We have a young editorial crew and these kids are super-bright and eager to learn as much about Marvel and the industry as possible,” he explained, “so I started doing a few seminars on covers, design, pacing, etc. It’s been a blast getting back in the trenches.

Quesada acknowledged that his increased involvement in publishing is also way to help repay Cebulski. “C.B. was there for me to help build our publishing division to what it became,” he said, “so I want to be there for him in any capacity he needs me to be.”

That itself DOESN'T bold well for Spider-Man or fans to the marriage.
Notice the words Quesda uses over and over again:
"I want..." "I want..." "I want..."

Well, just because you want it, doesn't mean you're going to get it.

I read this as someone trying to make a case in the press as to why he is still relevant and why he should still have a job, now that the creative committee has been disbanded and now that Disney has owned Marvel long enough to understand its business. You better believe Disney is looking at the performance of the Marvel TV shows vs. the performance of the DCU TV shows, and not liking what they are seeing. Especially since the Marvel films are hands down winners from start to finish.

This is only my gut intuition, but Cebulski replacing Alonso instead of Brevoort, who was the heir apparent and part of the Quesada inner circle, was not a good sign for JoeyQ's future at Marvel, and I'm betting he knows it. And if the only positive thing he can brag about is teaching seminars, when he's probably pulling down a hefty seven figure salary plus bonuses and perks - that's really not good. Especially not at Disney, which is very number-driven and will start to wonder why they are paying someone a small fortune to teach employees things they should've already demonstrated competency in to be hired in the first place.
3 points:

-In absolute iron clad seriousness...what on Earth does Quesada teach? Like...at best he can be a not bad teacher for art beginners...but if he's teaching writing...how? He is widely recognized as deplorable at it.

-What was the Chief Creative Officer's role in the first place? It always seemed like something created just for Quesada to justify his existence. Outside of maybe advising on some movies and refusing to let Spider-Man be married apparently what did the job even entail?

- Does this look like a possible end of Quesada's involvement with Marvel and thereby one of those people who's approval you need to allow Spider-Man to be married in a comic book set in an alternate unvierse for 5 months which is why it's IMPOSSIBLE for the marriage to ever come back?
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:35 am

Animehunter wrote:
Very professional of you, Joe. I see where Marvel employees get their charm from.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 am

Marvel publishing really needs to just be purged at this point.

Brevoort, Quesda, Slott, Wacker, Pearlmutter, probably Dan Buckley, Spencer, Remender, Lowe, Loeb, possibly Jordan D. White.

All of them have on some level proven toxic
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:16 am

No. 9
(Updated article)

13 Classic Marvel Concepts Still Missing in LEGACY
https://www.newsarama.com/35164-returns ... cy.html#s9

==

4:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC_qKs7hcq4

BlackSuit
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by BlackSuit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:17 am

Big Al wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 am
Marvel publishing really needs to just be purged at this point.

Brevoort, Quesda, Slott, Wacker, Pearlmutter, probably Dan Buckley, Spencer, Remender, Lowe, Loeb, possibly Jordan D. White.

All of them have on some level proven toxic
Indeed. This same crew is there in the last seventeen years! Never in Marvel history a regime lasted for so long. The same guys in charge with the same creative mindset and with the same modus operandi for so long (the deconstructionist approach, the non-stop events, the constant changes in status quo). Despite Marvel being a private company with the objective of making money, it seemed more like a bureaucratic government where its members get their places and keep it indefinitely. Alonso's exit was long due and Bendis going away is like when the big tree in a forest is cut out letting space for the small ones to grow in its place. I wish Quesada and Slott will be the next.

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 am

https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status ... 6222950401
First look of the upcoming Animated Spider-Man movie at Brazil Comic-Con in 2 days. #CCXP2017
► Show Spoiler

Andrew C
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Andrew C » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am

Lol no thanks, Sony. You can keep it.

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Marvel Is Making An Animated Movie Full Of Diverse Superheroes
https://www.buzzfeed.com/susancheng/mar ... .frd7bMDL4

BuzzFeed News can exclusively reveal that Marvel Television is working on Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors, an upcoming feature-length animated film about a new generation of diverse superheroes.
Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors is part of a new, multi-platform animated franchise starring the next generation of Marvel heroes set to launch in 2018. The program will launch with six, four-minute digital shorts (which will follow Spider-Gwen with her new secret moniker, Ghost-Spider). Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors will premiere later in 2018.

Andrew C
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Andrew C » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Yawn.

Another ‘hard pass.’

This is only “Spider-Man news” by the loosest definition. Must be a slow news week.

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Animehunter wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm
Marvel Is Making An Animated Movie Full Of Diverse Superheroes
https://www.buzzfeed.com/susancheng/mar ... .frd7bMDL4

BuzzFeed News can exclusively reveal that Marvel Television is working on Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors, an upcoming feature-length animated film about a new generation of diverse superheroes.
Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors is part of a new, multi-platform animated franchise starring the next generation of Marvel heroes set to launch in 2018. The program will launch with six, four-minute digital shorts (which will follow Spider-Gwen with her new secret moniker, Ghost-Spider). Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors will premiere later in 2018.
► Show Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HTPCTtkWoA

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm

It’s Venom Vs. Spidey & (SPOILER) in Amazing Spider-Man #793 Preview
https://www.cbr.com/venom-inc-amazing-s ... 3-preview/

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Animehunter wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:16 am
No. 9
(Updated article)

13 Classic Marvel Concepts Still Missing in LEGACY
https://www.newsarama.com/35164-returns ... cy.html#s9

==

4:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC_qKs7hcq4
Is Marvel even pushing Legacy any longer? It seems like they've given up on it already. Just compare this to DC's Rebirth, they were all over the place with that branding. But Legacy? Marvel seems less than interested in promoting it in any way shape or form. I think that they've kind of given up on it given that it doesn't seem to have been the massive hit that it was likely meant to be. It doesn't even seem to have boosted sales any significant degree. In fact, given the reports from some retailers, people seem to be dropping Marvel even more.

Which isn't a surprise, given the fact that Legacy really hasn't done much in the way of doing anything different. It's literally been more of the same, with the same creators, the same storylines, and the same problems as before. Sure, Steve Rogers "Returned" as Captain America. But everyone knew that was going to happen for a good long time. The problem was the damage had already been done, and there was no indication Marvel wouldn't make the same mistakes again. Even "Big" reveals like the return of Logan and the possible, maybe return of the Fantastic Four were met with ambivalence. Likely because there were no stories following up on it.

Seriously. How much of Legacy was devoted to stories that haven't really been followed up on yet? Logan was teased, but there was no advertisement as to when he was to return or in what capacity. So why care? It's been three months since the Green Goblin was last teased to be "Looking for something." What has happened with that? Where's that going? And, more importantly, why should we care? The same thing with the last page reveal that was supposed to "Break the Internet." Why should we care about Valeria and Franklin just hanging about, if there is no word on how it is to be followed up? Or if it will be followed up at all?

That seems to be a major problem for Marvel. They don't know what to follow up and what to push. Renew Your Vows for Spider-Man is a major hit. Does it get a follow up? Not for a full year, and even when it does it gets no promotion. What does get a follow up? Silk does, for some reason. Spider-Gwen does. She gets advertised out the wazoo. Then her "Spinoff" character Gwenpoole gets pushed everywhere, despite there not being all that much interest in the character. Scarlet Spider gets and ongoing announced before the end of Clone Conspiracy is even advertised. Miles and Gwen get shipped in a relationship, and then that goes nowhere. And it just goes on.

Time and time again this keeps happening to Marvel. Storylines people seem interested in get pushed aside or pushed down the line for "Later," while storylines people aren't interested in keep getting extended longer and longer. Excited about the return of Steve Rogers? Well, sorry, he's a bad guy now. Don't like it? Well, we've set aside two whole years for this one storyline, so you better get used to it or get lost.

It's the same thing that's been dogging Spider-Man's book. Peter's relationship with MJ is the thing that keeps getting pushed back and back and back. We're not going to follow up on it now. We'll do it in a year. And if you liked it, too bad, because we're not following up that storyline- we're going full hog into Parker Industries, and dedicated most of the next two years to that. We'll follow up the stuff with MJ in six moths. Then maybe a year later. Oh, wait, that's been changed. So now there's no word on when or even if that storyline will be followed up, and again when we ask about it we're told to go somewhere else. Meanwhile, enjoy the three part arc devoted to Peter getting a job. And sucking face with Mockingbird, for some reason.

With Rebirth, there was this sense of urgency. This need to do what fans wanted to see right away. With Marvel, it always just seems to be "We'll do that later." They won't tell a story we want to see now. They'll do it later. When they can tie into a film. Or some other media project. Except as we've seen that sort of approach just keeps turning people off, and when Marvel finally does a storyline people have been asking for- like the aforementioned return of the "Real" Steve Rogers- it's too little, too late. No one cares anymore.

It's really kind of depressing, because if you think about it, now Marvel has to try even harder to win fans back. Legacy could have at least bought them some time. But since they squandered it, they have to really go above and beyond to get fans interested in what they are doing again. But I've yet to see anything from them that would convince me that they are capable of that at this point.