What was the last comic you read?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Re: What was the last comic you read?

Post by Cheesedique » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider #10-12:

Had been so long since I'd read #9 that I forgot a lot of what happened. This arc introduces the Slingers after a long absence. I always thought Dusk was a pretty awesome character (the rest I could pretty much take or leave).

Really missed Sliney's art on #11, the guy's art that they had filling in was pretty rough.

All in all a decent read, but I have kind of lost a lot of interest in this storyline. B / C / B-
"I lied. I lied horribly. [Laughs.] But that’s what us storytellers do, we spin lies."

Cocaine and Chainsaws (NSFW)

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Re: What was the last comic you read?

Post by Cheesedique » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #13, 14, & 15:

Just now catching back up with this series. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much after the "8 Years Later" time skip of Legacy, but I'm pleased to see that this series is holding up pretty well.

I notice that Jody Houser's plot pretty much mirrors Conway's first three issues of the series: 13 from Peter's perspective, 14 from MJ, 15 from an 8-years older Annie Parker (they even go underground in #15 and free the Moloids that the villain is holding captive). All in all, I know people are writing off teenage Annie as a bit of also-ran Spider-Girl / Mayday, but Houser writes her, and everyone else here, pretty well. It's probably a good thing having a woman write the voice of a teenage Annie.

Roche's art is decent: somehow it manages to be both at times angular and rounded. But I notice he draws everyone with the same nose. He's no Stegman obviously but he gets it done. The coloring here is vibrant and lends a lot of energy to the whole thing.

I should have given this series more of a chance from the Legacy jump. Houser is cool, and her story proves there's still life in this experimental offshoot, but I'll be more interested see where the story progresses from here (as it's still kind of similar in ways to Conway's first arc). B+, all 3 issues.
"I lied. I lied horribly. [Laughs.] But that’s what us storytellers do, we spin lies."

Cocaine and Chainsaws (NSFW)