January 2013 Spider-Solicitations

Here’s the solicits for January 2013. If you bought every Spidey title at cover price it’d cost you $44.87.  What are you ordering? Discuss it in the comment section.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1

DAN SLOTT (W) • RYAN STEGMAN (A/C)
Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA
Sketch Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA
Variant Cover by Humberto Ramos
Variant Cover by Giuseppe Camuncoli
design variant by Ed McGuinness
Young Baby Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG
Blank Cover Also Available
THEN!…Peter Parker spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ended dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700. NOW!…The new Amazing Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger…Superior.
32 PGS. /Rated T+ …$3.99

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #2
DAN SLOTT (W) • RYAN STEGMAN (A/C)
Variant Cover BY ED McGuinness
• The All-Now Supereir Spider-Man battles All-New Sinister Six!
• PLUS: Spider-Man and Mary Jane…REUNITED!
• PLUS: Slott and Stegman… REUNITED!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

MORBIUS: THE LIVING VAMPIRE #1
JOE KEATINGE (W) • RICHARD ELSON (A)
Cover by Gabrielle Dell’otto
Variant Cover by Ed McGuinness
Young Baby Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG
Blank Cover Also Available
Morbius….the hunted, haunted fugitive.
Morbius…the dead souled scientist.
Morbius…the Living Vampire.
Somewhere inside Doctor Michael Morbius is a good man who just needs a second chance. After escaping from The Raft in Amazing Spider-Man 699.1, Morbius is scraping desperately through each day trying to carve out a life in a world that has turned its back on him. However his redemption…may be worse than his sin.
NOW Morbius returns in this long-awaited ongoing series, where the line between hero and villain becomes brutally and bloodily blurred.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

AVENGERS #3
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • JEROME OPEÑA (A)
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
AVENGERS 50TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT BY DANIEL ACUNA
VARIANT Cover BY ADI GRANOV
VARIANT Cover BY ESAD RIBIC
“THE GARDEN”
• The birth of the New Adam.
• On Mars, the Battle between The Avengers and the Garden comes to a dramatic conclusion.
• “If you want LIFE and all the good things living entails, then you’ll have to earn it.” –Ex Nihilo
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

AVENGERS #4
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • ADAM KUBERT (A)
Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER
VARIANT Cover BY ESAD RIBIC
“THE DEATH AND RESURRECTION OF MAJOR TITANS”
• The Secret Origin of Hyperion.
• The Legacy of the Garden unfolds in the Savage Land.
• “We’ll have to field test our theories here. NOW.” –Dr. Deeds
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #16
CHRISTOPHER YOST (W) • PACO MEDINA (A)
Cover by PAOLO MANUEL RIVERA
• NEW CREATIVE TEAM! NEW DIRECTION! THE SUPERIOR AGE BEGINS!
• The all new Superior Spider-Man teams with Wolverine and the X-Men!
• Christopher Yost (Scarlet Spider, X-Force) and Paco Medina (Ultimate X-Men) begin a new SUPERIOR era of Avenging Spider-Man!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

VENOM #29
CULLEN BUNN (W) • THONY SILAS (A)
Cover by SHANE DAVIS
• AN ALIEN NATION RISES!
• Flash Thompson uncovers a mystery in Philadelphia, and Katy Kiernan may be its first victim!
• Cullen Bunn (WOLVERINE) and Thony Silas (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: ENDS OF THE EARTH) continue the tale of Venom’s first adventure in his new home!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

VENOM #30
CULLEN BUNN (W) • THONY SILAS (A)
Cover by Paulo Siqueira
VENOM VS. THE U-FOES IN THE CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE!
• In a race against time, can Flash Thompson rescue not just his friends but th entire city of Philadelphia from an alien plot?
• Get ready for the most TOXIC final page in

Venom history!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

ALPHA #0.1
DAN SLOTT (w) • HUMBERTO RAMOS (A/C)
• A special encore presentation of the instant-classic AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #692!
• Get ready for an all-new tale about a different kind of power and responsibility…
• WHO IS ALPHA?!
32 PGS./Rated T …$2.99

SCARLET SPIDER #13
CHRISTOPHER YOST (W) • KHOI PHAM (A)
Cover by RYAN STEGMAN
“IN THE MIDST OF WOLVES” PART ONE OF THREE
• Brand new arc! Mysteries come to light as a threat from Mexico comes for Aracely, the girl Scarlet Spider saved in issue ONE.
• An old foe of Spider-Man’s returns, the mutant werewolf CARLOS LOBO… and he’s not alone.
• PLUS: What is the secret of Kaine’s new powers? How did he come back to life after the Grim Hunt? The answers begin here, as everything changes for the man called Kaine.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #19
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • SARA PICHELLI (A/C)
VENOM WARS BEGINS!!!
• Miles finally has his costume, his web shooters, and now he has his first A-list Spider-Man villain! There’s a new Venom in town and he’s hungry!
• All this, plus Miles’ new girlfriend and the return of award-winning Ultimate Spider-Man artist Sara Pichelli!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

DAREDEVIL #22
MARK WAID (W) • Chris Samnee (A)
Cover by Paolo Rivera
• Daredevil teams up with the ALL NEW Superior Spider-Man!
• Yes, America, we’ve heard your calls! Stilt-Man Is BACK! Better than ever thanks to some last minute help from Doctor Octopus.
• The Eisner and Harvey Award winner for book of the year continues to baffle all of us here at the House of Ideas!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Marvel Universe ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #10
BRIAN CLEVINGER & TY TEMPLETON (W)
RAMON BACHS & TY TEMPLETON (A)
Cover by TY TEMPLETON
• It’s 40-yard-mayhem as our plucky Peter Parker must take ona robot football team gone haywire!
• Then, between being misunderstood by the cops and trashed by J. Jonah Jameson, Spider-Man’s used to taking on the world – but can he fight the entire city of new York?
• Don’t wait for the weekend – pick up the next adventure of DisneyXD’s superstar at your comic shop now!
32 PGS./All Ages …$2.99

SPIDER-MAN: DYING WISH PREMIERE HC
Written by DAN SLOTT, JM DEMATTEIS & JEN VAN METER
Penciled by RICHARD ELSON, HUMBERTO RAMOS, GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & STEPHANIE BUSCEMA
Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS
This is it! The must-read story that turns over all the cards and reveals the secrets that have been seeded for the last three years! Dr. Octopus has mere hours left to live. He has no master plan — all his wants is vengeance against his eternal enemy, Spider-Man. And he’s just discovered Peter Parker’s secret identity. Which members of Spider-Man’s rogues’ gallery will heed Ock’s call to arms? With special appearances by the Lizard, the Spider-Slayer, Morbius the Living Vampire and some surprising Spidey foes, believe us when we say this is the end of an era — and quite possibly the end of Spider-Man’s world! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #698-700.
136 PGS./Rated T+ …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6523-1

SCARLET SPIDER VOL. 1: LIFE AFTER DEATH TPB
Written by CHRIS YOST
Penciled by RYAN STEGMAN & NEIL EDWARDS
Cover by RYAN STEGMAN
A science experiment gone terribly wrong, a killer searching for atonement, a fugitive on the run, a vigilante delivering extreme justice…a Spider-Man?! When Peter Parker’s imperfect clone, former super villain Kaine, attempts to start his life over, he relocates to Houston — and promptly stumbles upon an international human-trafficking ring! But lacking the moral fiber and heroic constitution of his genetic twin, Kaine must decide between action and apathy — and define his own brand of justice in the process as the Scarlet Spider! And finding himself on the wrong side of the merciless Assassins’ Guild, will the new Scarlet Spider fight to protect the citizens of Houston — or just leave his adoptive city to fend for itself? Collecting SCARLET SPIDER (2012) #1-6 and material from POINT ONE #1.
152 PGS./Rated T+ …$16.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6310-7

AVENGING SPIDER-MAN: THE GOOD, THE GREEN AND THE UGLY TPB
Written by KATHRYN IMMONEN, KELLY SUE DECONNICK & KEVIN SHINIK
Penciled by STUART IMMONEN, TERRY DODSON & AARON KUDER
Cover by TERRY DODSON
Spider-Man continues to rub shoulders with the Marvel Universe’s best and brightest! First, it’s a night out on the town with Spider-Man and She-Hulk! All the thwipping and quipping — and none of the calories! Then, Spidey plummets into action with the new Captain Marvel! Unfortunately, they’re 50,000 feet up — and only one of them can fly! And when a Boston-based brawl breaks out between a 50-foot madwoman and an army of privatized mecha-police, guess who’s caught in between? Plus: It’s the team-up you’ve all been waiting for as Spider-Man and Deadpool take on…high school?! The devilishly dangerous Deadpool helps Spidey dodge bullets and bullies, but is there more to the mayhem than meets the eye? Collecting AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #7, #9-10 and #12-13.
112 PGS./Rated T+ …$16.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5780-9

MARVEL UNIVERSE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN VOL. 2 DIGEST
Written by JACOB SEMAHN, TY TEMPLETON, BRIAN CLEVINGER, CLAY MCLEOD CHAPMAN, JOE CARAMAGNA & TODD DEZAGO
Penciled by NUNO PLATI, TY TEMPLETON, RAMON BACHS & CRAIG ROUSSEAU
Cover by TY TEMPLETON
Take the Ultimate Spin as the Hit DisneyXD show swings out of your TV and into your hands! By day, he’s Peter Parker, mild-mannered high-school student. But by night, he’s the Ultimate in super heroics: Spider-Man!
• See Spidey take on a parade of fiendish foes — including the Trapster, the Wrecker, the Big Wheel and…a dragon!?
• Spider-Man becomes the most hated hero in NYC until one fantastic save shows him who his true fans are!
• When Halloween goes haywire, can Spidey stop the costumed chaos — and save Peter Parker’s greatest enemy from being held hostage in a hostile high school haunting?
• Spider-Man is outmatched when he takes on a new team of seasoned villains!
From the minds behind the hit TV show! Collecting MARVEL UNIVERSE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #5-8.
96 PGS./All Ages …$9.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6411-1

SPIDER-MAN: THE DEATH OF JEAN DEWOLFF TPB (NEW PRINTING)
Written by PETER DAVID
Penciled by RICH BUCKLER & SAL BUSCEMA
Cover by RICH BUCKLER & SAL BUSCEMA
He’s the Sin-Eater, the man who takes the world’s sins for himself by killing every sinner he sees — and he sees them everywhere! But the lethal lunatic bites off more than he can chew when he robs Spider-Man of a dear friend: police captain Jean DeWolff! How can the grieving hero track down a villain with targets everywhere he goes? Join the wall-crawler for a frantic search through New York City that culminates in a pivotal moment between Manhattan’s two biggest solo stars — Spidey and Daredevil! Collecting PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #107-110 & #134-136.
168 PGS./Rated T …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6714-3

ESSENTIAL MARVEL TEAM-UP VOL. 4 TPB
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT, BILL KUNKEL, STEVEN GRANT, ALAN KUPPERBERG, ROGER STERN & MORE
Penciled by JEFF ACLIN, HOWARD CHAYKIN, DON PERLIN, MIKE VOSBURG, SAL BUSCEMA, BOB MCLEOD, GENE COLAN, RICH BUCKLER, PAT BRODERICK, CARMINE INFANTINO, MIKE ZECK, JIMMY JANES, ALAN KUPPERBERG, WILL MEUGNIOT & HERB TRIMPE
Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Spider-Man’s parade of all-star team-ups continues as he fights side-by-side with Nick Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Nightcrawler, Beast, Ghost Rider, Howard the Duck, X-51, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and more — against a non-stop onslaught of deadly foes including the Silver Dagger, the Griffin, Boomerang, the Maggia, Arcade, Killer Shrike, Mr. Fear, Tatterdemalion, the Owl and Nightshade! And in a special multi-part epic, Spider-Man and S.H.I.E.L.D. must race against time to save the president from death at the hands of Viper and the Silver Samurai! Collecting MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #76-78 and #80-98, and MARVEL TEAM-UP ANNUAL #2-3.
480 PGS./Rated T …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6734-1

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Superior Slott Video

Next Article

Spider-Man DOS Reviewed

You might be interested in …

27 Comments

1. LOCs need to smarten up and not play into the variant cover game.
    What’s important is the story, not what it comes wrapped in.

2. I was going to go with the tried and true Simpson’s Poochie reference where the new Superior Spiderman isn’t just busy..he is bizay…..instead I will opt for another classic Simpson’s reference…”Superior…Proactive, Paradigm….? Aren’t those just buzz words dumb people use to sound smart?….I’m fired aren’t I? “Oh yeah….”…..ah, we shall see..

3. Imagine ASM #700 and Superior #1 will be top 10 books, possibly even top 5. The interesting sales figures will be when we get to Superior #7-8 and retailers have had time to evaluate actual interest.

4. @16 Both those stories were a bit of a mess, though, so I don’t begrudge them doing it better. Plus it does look like the Superior arc is a different tone to the Reilly/Franklin stories, which both replaced Spidey with a relatively friendly character.

More to the point, if you weren’t allowed to do stories with Spider-Man that vaguely resembled any older stories whatsoever, you’d really struggle to put out anything.

5. @20: I believe the proper term is “singler.”

@21: So Kevin, what do you think of the Morbius variant?

I wonder if they’re bringing back Toxin.

6. “NOW!…The new Amazing Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger…Superior.”
    And unmarrieder?

7. Must have been thinking of Marvel Team Up Annual #5, or maybe the Team Up with King Kull, or more likely some Howard The Duck…

8. #15 — Do Red Sonya’s legal battles prevent Marvel from reprinting ? Seems like there was a Team-Up with Conan too….

9. @#10

Ben Reily…

Mattie Franklin…

That’s right. It’s been done before, and no one cared for it then either. Why the hell would anyone embrace something they don’t care for?

10. I hate that Marvel cannot reprint MTU #79… it’s one of the best issues of that series…

11. Yeah, the whole thing about Alpha’s origin being an instant classic is bit too hyperbolic given how the story turned out.

And I’m really starting to think that the “All-New Superior Spider-Man” is still Peter Parker under the mask, only having abandoned his identity as Peter Parker and making the world think he’s dead as being the only way to preserve his secret identity and protect the people he cares about, especially in light of Doc Ock learning who Peter Parker is and potentially going after those close to him and whatever really bad thing happens (like say, Aunt May being killed and thus Peter snaps and kills Doc Ock–which turns out to have been Doc Ock’s revenge all along.)

12. @10: I like that logic when it comes to Mary Jane. But JMS did that already, without making us hate Mary Jane and it’s my favorite part of his run. Slott taking a run at something similar would feel like a cheap copy. Still, I’d rather read something that makes Peter more mature than he has been lately.

13. Are they using this to put a stamp on the whole Brand New Day thing and then when this fails they’ll come back and start fresh with #701 and forget the whole Brand New Day thing ever happened?

14. There not going to make Alpha Spidey, that’d make MJ a pedophile or something …get that thought out of your heads. It’s OBVIOUSLY still Peter, I can’t beleive some of you are being suckered like this

15. @9 Thank you! You are the first person I’ve heard saying this. Why can’t we embrace the idea of a story where Peter isn’t Spider-man, even though I’m not particularly certain that will be the case?

I read books like “Invincible” where I’m excited and nervous with every issue that I read. The character is put through the ringer and is contantly evolving to a new place I’ve never seen or been before. It keeps it fresh and exciting. With “End of the Earth” I realized that I’m getting a bit tired of the standard Spider-man story. Why not give this a chance and see what surprises we have in store?

Maybe someone else gets with Mary Jane… but doesn’t that make it all the better when Peter fights back, wins the day, proves he’s worthy of her love, and gets his title back again? That’s a story I’m looking forward to, even if it makes me nervous and uncertain.

Whether Slott is the writer to successfully pull of such a thing is another conversation altogether.

16. @8 Even if they do make Alpha Spidey, how does whether he’s “worthy” make any difference to that? There is a storyline here, whether the character is worthy of being “the Superior Spider-Man” is probably going to be part of it. The fact that Peter is retiring does not mean the storyline hates Peter, I imagine the ending of the storyline will probably feature him returning as Spidey and reinforce the notion that he is the best man for the job.

Similar theme to the Batman: Knightfall arc, which replaced Bruce Wayne entirely so it could show Bruce Wayne awesomely returning.

17. Alls I gotta say is that if they really go through with pushing Alpha as the new Spider-Man, not only will I drop the book immediately, but I’ll lose all respect for Slott and co. I already feel like givin’ both him and Wacker a big ol’ slap in the face if they’re even THINKING about what I think they’re gonna do. Peter said it himself in that the kid just ain’t worthy. So, what, they’re gonna contradict what Peter said?

Peter Parker is Spider-Man, period.

18. If we’re getting Alpha #0.1, does that mean they’re revving him up for an ongoing? So he probably isn’t the Superior Spider-Man? Or maybe the fact they’re reprinting his first appearance to coincide with SSM #1 means he is the new Spider-Man. Who knows.

(And yes, I still think it’s likely to somehow be Doc Ock, but who knows. Maybe Doc Ock could take over Alpha’s body, thus combining both.)

19. I will only buy the ones that you will be reviewing on your podcast. That being Superior Spider-man only?

20. Alpha .1? So we’re losing Peter and getting Alpha back… yay… *shoots self in the head*

And I just realized I’m dropping Avenging and maybe even Avengers… They’re both going to have someone other than Peter under the mask.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *