Kraven was almost in Black Panther, but cut because Sony wants to do a solo film

Discuss Spider-Man's Tangled Web of Animated Series, Live Action shows or the Movies!

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, Spideydude

tnr105
Avenger
Avenger

Kraven was almost in Black Panther, but cut because Sony wants to do a solo film

Post by tnr105 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 pm

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-movie-kraven-coogler/
“Being a Marvel fan, you want to grab all the characters,” Coogler, who co-wrote the film with Joe Robert Cole, told Yahoo! Movies UK. You realize there’s contractual things. You don’t have that character. There was a Christopher Priest run that was pretty heavy, there’s a big scene where Panther’s fighting Kraven, Kraven the Hunter. I’ve always loved Kraven the Hunter in almost every iteration. So there was a moment – ‘Can I grab Kraven?’ – and they were ‘Nah, you don’t have Kraven.’ He was one where I thought ‘Oh, man.’ But I don’t even know if he would have worked in the movie we ended up with. This was the early days.”

Of course, Coogler isn’t the only one who likes Kraven: Fans have hoped for years that the big-game hunter would make a prominent appearance in Sony Pictures’ Spider-Man series. His big-screen debut may be on the horizon, however, as the studio is said to be plotting a Kraven solo film as part of its expansion of the franchise that begins with Venom and Silver & Black.
Uh...yeah, good luck with that, Sony. Would have been cool to see him in there. Even if it were an intro sequence ala Batroc in Cap 2.
Delta House Member: Sentinel

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Kraven was almost in Black Panther, but cut because Sony wants to do a solo film

Post by Cheesedique » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:19 pm

tnr105 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 pm
https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-movie-kraven-coogler/
“Being a Marvel fan, you want to grab all the characters,” Coogler, who co-wrote the film with Joe Robert Cole, told Yahoo! Movies UK. You realize there’s contractual things. You don’t have that character. There was a Christopher Priest run that was pretty heavy, there’s a big scene where Panther’s fighting Kraven, Kraven the Hunter. I’ve always loved Kraven the Hunter in almost every iteration. So there was a moment – ‘Can I grab Kraven?’ – and they were ‘Nah, you don’t have Kraven.’ He was one where I thought ‘Oh, man.’ But I don’t even know if he would have worked in the movie we ended up with. This was the early days.”

Of course, Coogler isn’t the only one who likes Kraven: Fans have hoped for years that the big-game hunter would make a prominent appearance in Sony Pictures’ Spider-Man series. His big-screen debut may be on the horizon, however, as the studio is said to be plotting a Kraven solo film as part of its expansion of the franchise that begins with Venom and Silver & Black.
Uh...yeah, good luck with that, Sony. Would have been cool to see him in there. Even if it were an intro sequence ala Batroc in Cap 2.
Oh man--so Sony is really going to try to milk the crap out of the characters of Spider-Man, huh?

Who wants to lay odds that after the animated film, Venom and Silver & Black disappoint, Marvel will choose that point to swoop in and get all the Spider-Man rights back proper?

I think I would rather save Kraven for Spidey flick, though he would be good in Black Panther too. Maybe Coogler can use Morlun (ducks)?
"I lied. I lied horribly. [Laughs.] But that’s what us storytellers do, we spin lies."

Cocaine and Chainsaws (NSFW)

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Re: Kraven was almost in Black Panther, but cut because Sony wants to do a solo film

Post by Spideydude » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 pm

I’ve said as much on the podcast
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Frontier
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Frontier » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:19 pm
Oh man--so Sony is really going to try to milk the crap out of the characters of Spider-Man, huh?

Who wants to lay odds that after the animated film, Venom and Silver & Black disappoint, Marvel will choose that point to swoop in and get all the Spider-Man rights back proper?

I think I would rather save Kraven for Spidey flick, though he would be good in Black Panther too. Maybe Coogler can use Morlun (ducks)?
I think out of all of them the animated film is the one with the most things going for it.

And I wouldn't rule out Kraven in the MCU Spider-Man sequel.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Frontier wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 pm
Cheesedique wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:19 pm

I think out of all of them the animated film is the one with the most things going for it.

And I wouldn't rule out Kraven in the MCU Spider-Man sequel.
Eh, unless they’re doing Last Hunt, Kraven is overrated to me. Would much rather see Scorpion in the MCU Spidey sequel, finally.
"I lied. I lied horribly. [Laughs.] But that’s what us storytellers do, we spin lies."

Frontier
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Frontier » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 pm
Eh, unless they’re doing Last Hunt, Kraven is overrated to me. Would much rather see Scorpion in the MCU Spidey sequel, finally.
I think we'll probably see Scorpion but I doubt he'd be the only villain, and if they're going to use villains who haven't been used in the movies yet they're running out of the iconic Lee/Ditko ones before they have to start mining the ones Raimi or Webb used.

But I think Kraven is really fun and could be cool to see Spidey contend with. Even though there's no way we'd get Kraven's Last Hunt with MCU Spider-Man.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:18 am

Frontier wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 pm
Cheesedique wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 pm
I think we'll probably see Scorpion but I doubt he'd be the only villain, and if they're going to use villains who haven't been used in the movies yet they're running out of the iconic Lee/Ditko ones before they have to start mining the ones Raimi or Webb used.

But I think Kraven is really fun and could be cool to see Spidey contend with. Even though there's no way we'd get Kraven's Last Hunt with MCU Spider-Man.
It could be good depending on how they did Kraven in the MCU, but of the unseen Lee/Ditko villains, I’d rather see Chameleon, Mysterio and/or Scorpion onscreen first.