Spider-Tracer: Watch Out for the Wondrous Walrus!

Welcome back, Spidey fans! I hope this article finds you all doing most well. A lot of people I know have unfortunately been sick with something recently (or still are, as or writing this), and, since laughter is the best medicine, I thought I’d give everyone reading this a good laugh… Spidey style! This also being the month of April Fool’s Day, I couldn’t think of a better time to discuss this month’s topic…

When the radioactive spider bit Peter Parker all those years ago, it bestowed the proportionate speed, strength, and agility of its species upon the nerdy teen. So, what happens when you do the same to someone else, albeit with a different animal? Like, oh, I dunno, say… a walrus?

If you said become a supervillain… you’d fit right in within in the Marvel Universe! Hubert Carpenter’s (“Alice in Wonderland” reference, anyone?) uncle was an oddball janitor and scientist (wha huh?!) that used technology to give to his nephew the abilities of a walrus. Now, while many villains would use this kind of power (well, any power, not necessarily walrus powers) to attain great wealth or achieve revenge, the Walrus was (and still is) content enough to just cause mindless destruction. That’s it. Yes, he’s that bright.

First appearing in “The Defenders” #131, the Walrus donned a Walrus suit (think Rhino or Grizzly, but with tusks and a rainbow “W” on the chest) and was defeated thanks to a timely appearance from the fabulous Frog-Man (yes, you read that right).

Seeking revenge on Frog-Man, he later teamed up with the White Rabbit in “The Spectacular Spider-Man” #185. Together with Frog-Man, and his father, the former Leap-Frog, Spider-Man ended the threat of the Terrible Two, as they called themselves. Of course, the battle wasn’t without a few jokes and many laughs at the Walrus’ expense, which all concluded with Spider-Man flicking the Walrus in the face and knocking him out.

In the years since, the Walrus stayed away from the Spider-Man books for a while, having turned up in a nightclub in “Daughters of the Dragon” #4, and coming into conflict with Deadpool (“Fear Itself: Deadpool” #s 1-3) and Spider-Woman. He was later saved from the villain known as Arcade by Gwenpool, with a little help from the aforementioned Deadpool.

Walrus made his eventual return to the Spidey books as a prisoner of the Regent (who was siphoning off his powers until he was saved throughout several issues of Volume 4 of “The Amazing Spider-Man”) and later still, as one of the many animal-themed people captured for “The Great Hunt” storyline. As far as I can tell, the Walrus is still very much alive (much to everyone’s relief)!

And there you have it, the Walrus (an actual character, not an April Fool’s prank!). Now where’s my Marvel Legends Walrus figure, Hasbro…?

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Spider-Variants of the Week 4/10/24

Next Article

Collectors New Comic Wednesday! 4-10-24

You might be interested in …

2 Comments

1. Wow, if the Regent was siphoning off his walrus powers, you know he must have been a credible threat. 🙂

2. And here I thought the Disney character Lord Walrus, who appeared in the series Paperinik New Adventures (PKNA), was a comical original character! Nope, besides being bitten by a radioactive walrus, he was probably a reference to Wondrous Walrus.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *