Best Spider-Man Stories by Decade: The 1980s

With the 1970s done and dusted, it’s time to move on to what many fans will cite as the web-slinger’s single greatest decade: the 1980s!

It’s not hard to see why this decade is commonly viewed as a highpoint in the character’s history. For most of that time, both the Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man titles were firing on all cylinders, gracing us with some of the finest Spidey tales ever told, with most holding up to this very day. This decade also saw the launch of the Web of Spider-Man ongoing title and while that particular comic rarely reached the same heights as its predecessors, the fact that the wall-crawler now had three ongoing titles is a feat most other comic book characters have been unable to accomplish.

But enough setup, let’s get down to showcasing why exactly the ’80s were such a great time for this character by listing off what I consider to be his ten very best outings of this era. This was a really difficult list to make since there were so many great tales that I had to leave off for the sake of condensing it to ten, but here they are (spoilers ahead).

10.) High Tide

by James Owsley & Mark Bright

Sent to Berlin, Germany on a special Daily Bugle assignment, Peter Parker and his alter-ego soon cross paths with none other than Wolverine, who is there for highly personal reasons. Spider-Man soon finds himself out of his depth as he becomes entangled in a spy/espionage situation that will change him forever. 

Nobody expected a comic simply titled Spider-Man versus Wolverine to contain two of the most shocking moments in the webbed-wonder’s history, but therein lies the brilliance of this story: it’s not just a simple battle issue as the title and cover would have you believe. While the actual fight between Spider-Man and Wolverine is very memorable, it’s everything surrounding it that makes this one of Spidey’s most memorable outings of the entire decade. No fan will ever forget the horrifying sight of Peter walking into his hotel room only to find his friend and longtime supporting character murdered, or the major mistake he makes in the climax, making this the first and only real time our hero has ever had blood on his hands.

09.) Venom

by David Michelline & Todd McFarlane

After Mary Jane Watson-Parker is tormented by a dark figure who looks suspiciously like her husband’s alter-ego, Spider-Man sets out to locate this sinister assailant and put a stop to whatever nefarious plans they seem to have for him and his family. To his horror, Spidey discovers that this new threat is none other than the alien symbiote he rid himself of months ago, who has returned with both a new host and a thirst for revenge. 

The first full appearance of Eddie Brock/Venom! That alone is worthy of praise, but this anniversary issue really is an excellent introduction for who would quickly become one of Spider-Man’s (and Marvel’s) most popular villains. Venom truly does come across as a massive threat here, one that our hero won’t be able to overcome through mere physical means. His one and only goal is to kill Spider-Man, the person he blames for his life falling to pieces and will do anything to see that goal through. While Marvel would strangely turn Eddie Brock into an anti-hero later on, he exploded onto the scene as one of the deadliest foes Spidey had ever encountered up to that point.

08.) Return of the Sin-Eater

by Peter David & Sal Buscema

When Stan Carter, the notorious serial killer once known as the Sin-Eater, is released from prison with a supposedly clean bill of health, Spider-Man is incensed. However, when going to confront the man who murdered Jean DeWolff, his only friend on the police force, Spidey instead finds a physically and psychologically broken man. Things only get worse as Electro escapes from prison and targets the conflicted wall-crawler. 

What makes this story so great is how it expertly flips the readers’ perception of Stan Carter. In the original story preceding this one (which we will discuss more in-depth later), Carter is a cruel, cold-blooded murderer whom the audience cannot wait to see get taken down as swiftly and painfully as possible. However, Return of the Sin-Eater cleverly subverts expectations by instead portraying him as a guilt-ridden, mentally ill individual who is not in control of his actions. Spider-Man’s interactions with Carter are great as our hero can’t help but feel guilty for the severe beating he previously handed him, as well as pity for the shell he has become.

And as a bonus, Return of the Sin-Eater contains one of the best uses of Max Dillon/Electro. After seeing what he did to Stan, Spidey is afraid of losing control again and possibly killing someone, causing him to severely hold back when fighting. This hesitation grants Dillon an easy victory over his long-time nemesis, which quickly goes to his head and causes him to view himself as being far more capable than he actually is. It’s really entertaining.

07.) Burn, Spider, Burn

by Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz

When Firelord, the former herald of the mighty Galactus, arrives on Earth and begins wreaking havoc, Spider-Man is the only hero around to stop him. But what chance does the web-slinger have against a foe that far exceeds his own power?

That simple premise is exactly what makes this two-parter so great; it’s just Spidey having an all-out brawl against a foe that he seemingly has no chance of defeating. The action is sublime as Firelord tears through buildings and everything else around him to get to Spider-Man, while our hero does everything he can to stay out of his lethal reach. While somewhat of the arachnid’s classic clash with The Juggernaut (more on that later), what really places this tale in a league of its own is its entirely unexpected outcome. Spider-Man defeating Firelord bare-handed is easily one of the most impressive, surprising and downright awesome accomplishments in the character’s sixty-plus year history. Don’t let Dan Slott tell you otherwise.

06.) The Tombstone Saga

by Gerry Conway & Sal Buscema

When Lonnie Lincoln a.k.a. Tombstone, a notoriously deadly hitman for the mob, arrives in New York City on business, it’s up to Spider-Man to stop him. However, things take a complicated turn when it’s revealed that Tombstone has a very personal history with Peter Parker’s long-time friend and mentor from the Daily Bugle, Robbie Robertson. 

I’ve gushed about this particular saga multiple times in past articles of mine and I’m about to do so again. Tombstone is easily one Spider-Man’s most underrated adversaries and he absolutely shines here as an imposing, unpredictable force here who captures your attention every time he’s on the page. But as great as Tombstone is, this really is Robbie Robertson’s story and easily the strongest material his character has ever been given. Seeing Robbie tremble with fear at Tombstone’s presence throughout the story, only to finally stand up to his longtime tormentor by the end is an excellent character arc for him and immensely satisfying for the readers.

05.) Origin of The Hobgoblin

by Roger Stern, Bill Manto, Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz, Al Milgrom & John Romita Jr.

An unidentified criminal manages to locate one of Norman Osborn’s various Goblin hideouts throughout the city and becomes a new threat known as The Hobgoblin! Armed with his predecessor’s various gadgets, weaponry, enhanced strength but not his insanity, this mysterious menace sets out to accomplish what The Green Goblin was never able to: bring the city to its knees and destroy Spider-Man once and for all!

Before it eventually went off the rails, the mystery of The Hobgoblin’s identity was one of the most intriguing mysteries in Spider-Man history. Throughout the saga, The Hobgoblin steadily grows more powerful and ruthless, becoming a worthy successor of the Goblin mantle. The story constantly keeps the readers guessing who The Hobgoblin might be and what he will do next, making for a captivating mystery and antagonist. The action, drama and stakes are all top tier throughout, making this one of the defining Spider-Man sagas of the decade.

04.) The Death of Jean Dewolff 

by Peter David & Rich Buckler

When Captain Jean DeWolff, Spider-Man’s only real ally on the police force, is murdered by a serial killer known as The Sin-Eater, our enraged hero sets out to find and stop this new threat at any cost. Daredevil soon joins in on the hunt, but he soon realizes that Spidey might have finally reached his breaking point…

The story opening with the title promise is surprising enough, but what really sells this arc is Spider-Man’s growing anger and bloodlust throughout as The Sin-Eater continues to take more lives and he discovers that DeWolff had feelings for him before she died. Daredevil is great too in this story as he (surprisingly) acts in a calmer, more level-headed manner, offsetting Spidey’s hot-headed brashness. The two engage in an intriguing moral debate over what true justice is and how it should be dispensed, with both making good points while poking holes in the other’s argument. This all leads to an explosive climax where the wall-crawler nearly crosses the line, with ol’ horn-head barely able to stop him.

03.) The Owl/Octopus War

by Bill Mantlo & Al Milgrom

Doctor Octopus and The Owl engage in a deadly gang war over the fate of New York City! If that isn’t enough for Spider-Man to deal with, Felicia Hardy a.k.a. The Black Cat returns after a prolonged absence and soon finds herself in Doc Ock’s crosshairs! Will Spider-Man be able to save his city and the new love in his life? 

This right here is easily the single greatest Doctor Octopus story ever written. Doc Ock is at his absolute cruelest, craziest, most ruthless and most evil here as he plots to destroy all of New York for the simple reason that he has been a lifelong failure and wants everyone else to burn for it. Throughout this arc, Ock intimidates The Kingpin to the point that the crime lord actually tries to help Spider-Man stop him, beats The Owl within an inch of his life, comes extremely close to killing The Black Cat and even scares Spider-Man to the point that as Peter Parker, he goes around saying goodbye to all of his friends and loved ones, uncertain if he will see them again. No villain, not even The Green Goblin himself, has ever frightened the web-slinger like that. This all culminates in what I stand by as being the best Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus brawl in both characters’ histories.

On top of Doc Ock being a total badass throughout, this four-parter is an excellent showcase of Spidey’s romance with The Black Cat. As the story progresses, you can feel him falling more and more deeply for her, culminating with Spidey being by the Cat’s side while she is at death’s door.

02.) Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut

by Roger Stern & John Romita Jr.

After having a vision of being abducted by a being of immense power, Madame Web telepathically contacts Spider-Man and asks for his aid in coming events. However, Spidey may have bitten off more than he can chew when he discovers that Web’s attacker is none other than The Juggernaut, arch-foe of The X-Men and one of the most physically powerful beings on the planet! What chance does the wall-crawler have of stopping the unstoppable? 

On the surface, this tw0-parter is nothing more than a glorified fight sequence, but there’s more to it than that. This story, perhaps more than any other, perfectly encapsulates everything that makes Spider-Man one of the greatest superheroes of all time. It’s not his powers and abilities that make him who he is, but rather his strength of will, never-say-die attitude and complete refusal to quit even when he appears to stand no chance of winning. Throughout the entire arc, Spidey is repeatedly overpowered, outmatched and humiliated by The Juggernaut at every turn, but he never even considers giving up because he knows it’s his responsibility to stop threats like The Juggernaut. That is Spider-Man.

Also…yeah, the action is just plain awesome. How can you not love Spidey driving a tanker truck into The Juggernaut?!

01.) Kraven’s Last Hunt

by J.M. DeMatteis & Mike Zeck

After years of being beaten and humiliated by Spider-Man, an unstable and depressed Kraven the Hunter sets out to eliminate his arch foe once and for all. Only this time…he actually succeeds! Kraven finally kills his lifelong obsession and buries him six feet under. But it’s not enough for Kraven to have killed Spider-Man, he must also now become him and prove himself his superior in every way imaginable! However, not all is as it might seem…

What can I say about Kraven’s Last Hunt that hasn’t been said ad nauseam by countless comic readers? It truly is a masterclass in nearly every way imaginable. First off, it takes a B-list villain in the form of Kraven and single-handedly elevates him to the A-list in only six issues! Kraven is a truly fascinating character here, as he’s clearly off his rocker, yet the story almost makes you understand his point of view and why he has been driven to such lengths.

And who could forget the horrific ordeal our hero faces in this tale? Spider-Man being buried alive for two weeks and being forced to dig his way out of a deep grave while starving, dehydrated and drugged out of his mind is shocking to say the least, but that makes it all the more satisfying when he triumphs.

Last but not least, this arc is a powerful showcase for Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson’s love for one another and why their marriage was the correct move for the characters, despite what Marvel editorial wants you to believe. While Peter is experiencing quite possible the most terrifying scenario of his life (no small feat), it’s ultimately his love for his wife that gives him the strength to push through the darkness and pain to return to the land of the living. Their reunion after two agonizing weeks is the lone bright spot in an otherwise incredibly dark story.

The inclusion of Vermin might not be entirely necessary, but it can’t do anything to diminish how superb everything else is. Kraven’s Last Hunt is the single best Spider-Man story of the 1980s for those reasons.

So what are some of your favorite stories from this decade? Like I said at the beginning, there are a lot of great tales from this particular era and I had to leave off many of them for the sake of keeping this list at ten.

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Spider-Variants of the Week 11/1/23

Next Article

Panel of the Day #1499 (Ditko!)

You might be interested in …

7 Comments

1. @André L. Santana
    The ’80s were definitely the golden age for comics overall, not just Spider-Man. I don’t think we’ll ever have an era quite like it again.

2. This is a very good list.

It was right there in the early eighties that I learned how to properly collect comics and totally surrendered to the uniqueness of Spider-Man. What a great character.
    All the other great stories of the 80s had an “end” to them – like The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, and Watchmen. But Marvel was delivering monthly and continuously all the great drama, great fights, and whatever else that Peter Parker had to endure and grow stronger to then, eventually fall in Love with MJ and mature as a character.
    So the 80s – and all the arcs in this list here presented – were pivotal to me as a Spider-fan: these stories cemented all that I grew to admire and respect about the character.

We owe Roger Stern, Tom DeFalco, Al Milgrom, Gerry Conway, Peter David and J.M. DeMatteis a lot for these great tales.

3. @Hornacek
    With such a track record, I question why Spider-Man objects to The Punisher’s methods so much.

@Adam Coppola
    Like I said, this list was really tough to make because of the multitude of great stories I had to leave off of it. I changed my #10 several times before settling on “High Tide”. Speaking of which, I agree that it was odd to have such massive ramifications occur in a seemingly random “Spider-Man vs. Wolverine” comic, but that’s part of what makes that particular story so memorable.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Spider-Man and Firelord fight, which is a big reason it’s one of my favorites. I disagree with Dan Slott on a lot of things, but I really don’t understand how any Spidey fan can dislike that battle or story.

4. Yea, at the time it seemed like an awfully big event to happen in some book I couldn’t get my hands on. By the time I finally got my hands on that book I already knew mostly everything that was going to happen, kind of ruins the effect.

5. @adam coppola

Yeah, from what I remembered, the next ASM issue after SMvW starts with Ned’s body returning from Europe. So if you didn’t read SMvW you’re like “Wait, Ned is dead – when did this happen? Did I miss an issue of ASM or one of the satellite titles?”

6. Great list… and there are so many other good stories from this decade that had to get left off… and so many events that happened in this decade. MJ revealing she knew Pete’s secret, the wedding, the black costume… almost every issue felt like it mattered back then, yet there were few actual “events.” Although these all came out during my teen years, so I might be a bit biased…
    The only story I have a grudge against, (and it isn’t the story’s fault) is Spider-Man vs Wolverine. Back then I bought my comics at the newstand, and my newstand didn’t carry this book as far as I know. I was buying every comic as it came out off a spinner rack, this was a huge story that affected Amazing, but it wasn’t until years later when I could drive and go to an actual comic shop that I was able to finally track down this book.
    One other comment… those last three panels in the page from the Firelord fight I think sums up who Peter Parker and Spider-Man should always be. No matter what so called expert Dan Slott says.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *